Wednesday 29 May 2013

Living the dream ..... Yes really

Today I was fed up I went and got my nails done with bright red tips - they are fab. I'm glad I did I learnt a lesson whilst I was there, maybe I will share with you.....

I woke this morning in terrible pain, my feet were hurting - especially my toes. Recently they have started throbbing, they hurt so much it makes me cry and I don't understand why they do but after a few painkillers they calm down - today was such a day.

I start my new job on Monday and I always get my hair and nails done as a form of a confidence boost whenever i start a new role - so I decided that was going to be my mission for today and I set off to get them done. I love the nail bar, the banter, the smell and all the different polishes lined up to choose from - I feel like a kid in a sweetshop. Actually years ago I trained as a nail tech so I could do acrylics gels etc but I can't do my own any more. The pain in my fingers is excruciating due to my arthritis but the beautiful finished product outweighs the agony of having them done. I sit there thinking of all the different combinations I could have and I've never been disappointed once. The girls are Korean and beautiful and the animated way they chat is addictive to listen to, it sounds almost 'song like' as they giggle and chat their way through the queue. There is always a wait and the owner always shouts '5 minute!' when you ask how long you will have to wait - which is really funny because it never is but this always adds to the experience and I enjoy it enormously.

Behind me was an elderly lady in a motorised wheelchair, she didn't have a tooth in her head, a rather dark heavily back combed head of hair and huge 'Pat Butcher' style earrings. She was at least 90, heavily made up and she had the longest bluest nails I've ever seen. She sat watching from her chair for the usual 20min before a bay was cleared for her and then it was her turn. She looked at the boss of the shop and said really loudly 'That was the longest 5 bloody minutes of my life' and laughed so loudly she made all of us laugh too. Two guys had to help her out of her chair and across into the nail bar chair which they did and she laughed the whole time as the transfer took place. Eventually she sat next to me and I was struck by the appearance of her elderly frail hands, her skin was almost transparent and on every finger was a huge ring - most of which were gold. She was a rough diamond without a doubt but she was so fascinating to watch, so upbeat I felt ashamed of how my arthritis had got to me and just how low it had made me feel. She sat there for the best part of an hour and was the life and soul of the place. She had her nails painted, buffed and filed and they were the dirtiest nails I had ever seen but I admired that old girl she had obviously worked hard all her life. She is in there every week and it is her treat to herself, she has numerous mobility problems and was well past 90 but had more life in her than probably anyone I've ever met. I bet her rings weighed more than she did - she lost half her weight as the polish came off. She, in that hour taught me a valuable lesson, yes chronic pain is terrible but I have a sense of humour just like she has - that's my key to being happier. I must learn to channel it better to make it work harder and in turn it will help me to be more satisfied with 'my lot' as it were and this I will try to do ....

 Jon on the other hand is 'living the dream' - recently funny headline - really - he had a triple page spread in our local press -  if I can I will add a link on here so you can read it I am enormously proud of him and all he has done since we got together its about time the tide changed for both of us ....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/life/fighting-fear-and-living-the-dream-1-5141118

Today I've been mostly thinking x 

No comments:

Post a Comment