Wednesday 15 July 2015

Pain and other Issues

The Problem with Pain
 
We all feel pain, some of us more than others but pain varies from person to person and depends on many things. Some people can experience terrible things and manage to carry out their day to day routines as if nothing is wrong. They keep a ‘stiff upper lip’ whilst displaying a calm teflon exterior which cannot be penetrated under any circumstances. Then there is the other type of person who breaks a finger nail and screams like a baby for hours, only feeling better once they are totally submerged in self-pity and the large dose of attention the screaming has resulted in for them. There are all types of person and all types of pain and we have all stood on the lone Lego brick hiding in the rug, or the toe stubbing incident which resulted in the unleashing of swear words some of which were previously unknown. This type of pain is short and sharp and luckily disappears as fast as it appeared.
 
Then there is 'chronic bad pain' - this type of pain is continual by nature and never leaves you. It may be worse one day than another but it never goes and your body is supposed to get used to it. Slowly you become adapted to a new life of taking pain killers, resting and the prospect of a life somewhat different from the one you had before. You can either accept this or fight it, either way the effect this has is horrendous. Suddenly every single day becomes a challenge, the endless choices of how to use your energy and the repercussions of these choices is personal and I often find myself sacrificing an entire week if a particular family event is considered to be worth it.
 
I work and I work hard, the nature of my job means I have to concentrate, remember a lot of information. Some of this information only remains in my brain because I have done that particular task so often it becomes second nature, I do however react badly to change and new things. I have had to learn new processes, new systems and meet new staff members all of which cause me untold problems. I take pain killers but often the side effects of this is more horrendous than the pain and certainly more unsociable. Rushing to the loo can be extremely embarrassing when in a room full of people plus the after effects for some unfortunate soul is also wanting the loo after you as they scan the office looking for the culprit of the offending odour. 

Now please don’t sit and say ‘oh please’ this has happened to all of us ..
 
I am by nature an upbeat type of person, always available for a giggle or a practical joke and I have at times had the office in stitches. I am lucky that my work colleges are so supportive and they totally understand my condition but this has not always been the case. I am very grateful for there support I simply could not function without it. Please try to remember that not all disabilities are visible, mine isn’t. I try to manage and I have a blue badge to help me so I often use disabled parking spaces as mobility is difficult and the looks with nasty comments from people are hurtful. These comments, in actual fact are often from other disabled people who believe because all my limbs are still attached I must be fine!  We have history of inconsiderate neighbours who park so close to my car it’s impossible to drive away without some unnecessary ‘too’ing and fro’ing’. 

If people were less quick to judge each other, my life would be so much easier and if people learnt that not everything has to be completed yesterday I’m sure their lives would be nicer too.
 




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment